Thursday, December 1, 2011

Quidi Vidi Premium

Product:    Quidi Vidi Premium
Producer:  Quidi Vidi Brewery
Made In:    St. John's, NL, Canada
Style:        Pale Lager
Alcohol:     5% alc./vol.
Price:        $13.69 / 6pk


     Quidi Vidi (QV) Premium is another beer similar to the QV Light as that it's aimed at attracting the same type of market as the big boys, Molson-Coors, and AB-Inbev. You can buy  this in either 12, 6 , or you can also buy it as part of QV variety pack. I bought the variety pack to save myself some cash, but I have purchased some QV products in the past. I would also like to mention that throughout the course of the year QV has gone through some major updating including their website and labels. In my own opinion I think that the new labels and in some cases the new names of the beer, have been a great improvement. Ironically enough this was one of QV's first beers they put into production, under the name Northern Lager. After a legal suit with Northern Breweries they changed the name to just "QV". Finally earlier this year the name changed again to the simple Quidi Vidi Premium. 

Appearance:
     QV Premium pours crystal clear and very pale yellow in colour, not unlike the QV light. It has a nice bright white head which dissipates to a film after about a minute.

Aroma:
     There are not a lot of aromas that I can detect, then again I was working in drywall dust yesterday so that could be just me. I can smell a bit of malt and a bit of the grassy floral notes probably coming from the hops but that's about it.

Flavour:
     This is definitely a mainstream beer, with mainstream flavours. It's probably biased but I knew what I was getting into before I had even poured it. It's a little on the sweet side. This is from the malts. Again i get a bit of a metallic taste. It's pretty clean taste overall though, probably because it's a bit more bland. It's mainstream and is kind of mindless is flavour.

Mouthfeel:
     QV premium is light to medium bodied. It's on the watery side, but it wasn't unpleasant or characterless. This beer is over-carbonated and again had bit of a metallic aftertaste.

Drinkability:
     It's pretty standard fare. You can drink this all day and night. Very clean. Only drawback is that it's a bit on the bubbly side.

    I don't know if I would have reviewed this beer and QV light, if they weren't included in the variety pack. I wasn't interested in mainstream domestic beers even if they were from Newfoundland or else I would have picked up a case of Black Horse, India, Dominion, Jockey Club, or any other domestic brands made by Molson-Coors or Labatt's. This is a beer that you can pick up and bring to any event, but it's not special, and it's not meant to be. I reviewed these two first to get them out of the way so that I could get to the really special and exciting beers in the QV line-up.


Quidi Vidi Premium
1.5 / 5

Reviews to watch for:
  1. Quidi Vidi 1892
  2. Quidi Vidi Eric's Cream Ale
  3. Quidi Vidi Honey Brown
  4. Rickard's Dark

No comments:

Post a Comment