Monday, November 28, 2011

Rickard's White



Product:       Rickard's White
Style:           Belgian Wheat Ale
Producer:     Molson-Coors Canada
Made in:       Canada
Alcohol:       5.4% alc./vol.
Price:          $3.95 per 473ml can


     Before I get into the review, I sat down to do a side-by-side comparison between Rickard's and Keith's White. I honestly didn't imagine that I would find many differences between the two but I was surprised when I tried them both together. I think your personal preference would depend on your own tasting but I found that they each had their own properties. This was a very pleasant and flavourful beer, but if you are looking to decide yourself between a few white ales, I'd suggest picking up a few different brands and tasting them at the same time.


Appearance:
This beer is very light in colour and the cloudiness of the beer is why it's called  a white ale. The beer was slightly more orange when compared to the colour of Keith's white. The colour of the head was a bright white with large bubbles. There was a significant head while pouring however even by the time I had photographed the beer, the head had deteriorated, and by the time a tasted it there was only a film.


Aroma:
     It says so on the can, and I don't think they were trying to make it a subtle flavour, they added orange peels and lots of them to this beer. You can smell it right away a very bright and fresh citrousy aromas. You can also smell a little hint of coriander although this is a much more subtle smell. There are some sweet straw-like aromas that also come out in the beer. There are no hop aromas that I could detect. Overall a very fragrant and fruity aroma.


Flavour:
     Rickard's White is very flavourful without a doubt. My initial thoughts were that it tasted almost like someone took a light bodied beer and mixed a little orange juice with it. After the initial taste of acidic and citrus, the flavour develops and you get some sweet malts notes. You don't notice the coriander until the finish of the beer but it's a good thing that it's there because the hops simply aren't. I think when Molson-Coors developed this beer they were trying to make that orange flavour apparent and trying to expand on fruit-beers with the public. I think that this would be a lot nicer beer with some hops and bitterness at the end to counter the citrus and the sweetness of this beer. Having said all of this, this beer has a fantastically clean finish. This would be a good beer for a BBQ or to have during any summertime meal.


Mouthfeel:
     The body is light as I expected it would be, but the beer and the flavours are still full and rich. Rickard's white is a little bit over-carbonated but is overall on-par for the beers overall mouthfeel.


Drinkability:
      Despite being a very light bodied beer, and despite that this beer has very little aftertaste and finishes very cleanly, I don't think this is a beer that most people could drink more than one or two of in a sitting. There is just too much citrus and too sweet to drink a case on your own in an afternoon. One or two with a meal or on a hot summer day I can see to be very refreshing and I think that is how this beer is meant to be enjoyed.


     I enjoyed trying the two whites side-by-side. Keith's and Rickard's Both used oranges and spices, but only Keith's used Hops. Out of the two I think that Keith's White is more drinkable however if you are looking for a summer Beer to have while you sunbathe on the deck I would definitely recommend trying Rickard's White as an alternative to the generic domestic light beers.


Rickard's White
3 / 5


Reviews to look Out For:
Rickard's Dark
Samuel Adams Octoberfest
Quidi Vidi Erics Red Cream Ale






No comments:

Post a Comment