Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Alexander Keith's Harvest Ale



         Alexander Keith's has released two limited brews for the fall season the first being Alexander Keith's Harvest Ale. This beer is a brown ale crafted in the traditional fashion. Here is what Keith's had to say about their beverage.


      "We're proud to share with you our Brewmaster's limited release of Alexander Keith's Harvest Ale. It has been Carefully crafted with a blend of speciality malts and select North American hops. This rich brown ale delivers a unique taste with hints of caramel and roasted malt."


Product:          Alexander Keith's Harvest Ale
Style:              Brown Ale
Alcohol:          5.3% apv
Price:             $3.95 for a 
473ml can




Aroma: 
Thankfully I could really get a good smell of the hops in this brew.Very mild aroma, just a hint of the hops and roasted malts. I didn't find the caramel to come but the aroma hops certainly come through.


Appearance: 
Keith's Harvest Ale has a very dark brown colour and had a beautiful white head for the first 15 seconds after its pour but like the other Keith's I've tried the head dissipated quite quickly. I think that this beer would retain its head if it were kegged.


Taste: 
You definitely taste the roast malts and hops right a way. The caramel doesn't stand out as much as they claim you can get a hint of it but the hops over power the subtleties of the roast caramel. Overall the taste is balanced quite well, the extra hops really gives it the extra bitterness that should be expected in a fall brown ale and helps balance out the taste of the slightly higher alcohol content. The hops give it a slightly bitter after-taste as well.


Mouthfeel: 
This beer was similar to other brown ales that I've had before. It had more carbonation than I would prefer but it wasn't too bad. Overall I thought it was suitable.


Drinkability: 
I can definitely see myself drinking through a case of this with a few friends in a evening. Very drinkable. Because of the lower carbonation than most beers it sits fairly well. Because the taste is rich yet still mild i think that most people could enjoy this beer.


      Overall I thought that it was a  good beer. I Found that it reminded me a lot of Newcastle Brown. Its a beer full of flavour but not so much flavour that it would discourage me from sharing it with friends.


 Alexander Keith's Harvest Ale
3.5 / 5

No comments:

Post a Comment